Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Changing the Definition of Success

If you were to say these words to me a year ago, I would have completely disagreed with you.  You see, I have always had the idea that your success is determined by how busy you are.  Sounds crazy right?  But in my mind if you were running around "doing" things that you were being successful.  Even if I was dropping off my daughter at school, running to the post office, grocery shopping, etc. I felt like I was so busy.  And busy equals success right?  I guess you could say that I had a warped view of success.   So when I say this saying it kinda slapped me right in the face.  I have been struggling lately with the idea of just living an ordinary life.  I mean my life is ordinary, but I do love it.  I love the idea of being able to spend time with my family whenever I want and not having high power lunch meetings or having to travel constantly for work.  

 
I consider having options a good thing.  I don't know about you, but as I get older all I really want to do is live simply and calmly.  No drama, no stress, and certainly no regrets.  I'm not gonna lie, I used to see a "successful" woman and think "I wonder what she does."  Now I'll see a similar woman and ask myself "I wonder if she thinks it's worth it".  I mean some people are totally wired for fast paced lives and I'm not saying they're making the wrong choice.  I'm just saying that it's the wrong choice for me.  And as far as living simply and calmly I could kick myself for not making the decision to do so earlier in life.  There is one thing however, that I'd like to make clear...I still LOVE to dream and dream BIG.  And who knows, maybe a dream or two will come to fruition in this beautiful life.  So, what are your thoughts on living calmly and simply?  Do you struggle with the thought of keeping up and being a "success"?  Because if you are, please know that the definition of success is what we make it to be. For me, success is now defined as living a life I'm happy with and not ever having any regrets.  What's your definition of success?

Life

Always,
Christine

0 comments:

Post a Comment